The Oldham caplamp brand name is derived from the family name of its founding father, Joseph Oldham, who established the company “Oldham & Sons Ltd.” In Denton, near Manchester UK in 1865.
The first Oldham safety lamp was produced in 1910, and with the expansion of the global mining industry through the 1930s requiring skilled and experienced engineers, the Oldham Miners Safety Lamp was carried by British engineers to mines around the world.
With many product developments over the decades, including advances in krypton and halogen bulbs combining with scientifically designed reflectors for optimum light focus and management, Oldham lamps developed a leading brand of lighting solutions for mining applications together with specific products for military, maintenance and other low-light operations where personal hands-free lighting has been needed in both hazardous and non-hazardous applications.
As a leading innovator, Oldham lamps were amongst the first to bring certified/approved lithium-ion caplamp batteries and LED lamptops to the mining industry, with MSHA, SIRA and ATEX approvals in 2007.
In 2016, Enersys (already the owner of “Oldham” since 2001) transferred full title ownership of the Oldham range of miner’s caplamps to Denchi Power Ltd., returning full design and manufacturing control to the UK, with Denchi’s factory in Thurso, north Scotland.